Benefits of Laser Shock Peening
- Deeper residual compressive stress enabling better resistance to:
- Low cycle, high stress situations (LCF)
- High cycle, low stress situations (HCF) in a deteriorating surface environment
- Loss of compressive stress in high temperature applications
- Prevents failures from:
- Erosion, Foreign object damage (FOD), Fretting, Pitting, Stress corrosion cracking (SCC), Galvanic and Cavitation erosion.
- Clean surface condition enables applications where contamination and/or media staining cannot be tolerated.
- Surface finish and topography are easily maintained and controlled.
Laser Shock peening allows for excellent process and quality control. Since the key process parameters of laser energy and pulse duration are measured and recorded for each impact spot generated. It also has the ability to generate large curvature in thick component sections enabling advanced forming and form correction applications.